Refuse & Recycling
Christopher Smith – Supervisor of the Bureau of Refuse
Refuse and Recycling Office
Hours: 8 am – 4:30 pm
Phone: 570-348-4180 ext. 15
The City of Scranton Recycles
It’s Not Easy Being Green
Attached below is a pick-up schedule for each neighborhood
Recycling bins are available at 101 West Poplar Street, Scranton, PA 18509
Red Recycling Bin – newspaper, magazines, catalogs & phonebooks
Blue Recycling Bin -(comingled) glass, cans & plastic
Cardboard can also be broken down and placed in the Red bin during the cardboard collection week or neatly stacked on the curb.
The following cannot be recycled:
Food wrappers, paper or foam dishes/cups, take-out items, snack bags, straws, utensils, wraps and film. The Recycling Center doesn’t currently have a program for recycling electronics. (i.e. televisions, radios, etc.)
How to prepare recyclables:
- Remove food and drink waste from containers by a quick rinse.
- Discard liners/foam insulation from boxes.
- Put shredded paper in a clear plastic bag.
- Flattening plastic bottles will make more room.
- Please do not place broken glass in the recycling bin.
- Break down boxes
- Take smaller broken down boxes and add them in a larger box
Comingled Containers (cans, bottles, jars)
- Bottles & Jars only!
- The tops should be thrown away.
- NO windows, mugs or glasses etc.
- NO broken glass
- Aluminum & Steel (Tin)
- Beverage & Food containers
- Bottles, jars & milk, soda, water, soaps. Please throw away the lids (unless attached)
NO cups, toys, plant pots etc.
Please don’t recycle these items curbside:
- Plastic Bags & Plastic Film (air pillows from package deliveries, plastic wrap, shrink wrap)
- Clothes Hangers
- Clothing & Textiles (rugs, towels, curtains)
- Hoses & Cables
- Pots/ Pans/ Scrap Metal
- Paper Takeout Containers, Paper Towels, Napkins, and Paper Plates
The attachment below has a list of some locations to take your unwanted, broken and old electronics
According to City of Scranton Ordinance #45 of 2016 and the Pennsylvania Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988 (Act 101), it is required by law that all businesses, institutions and commercial establishments must recycle at a minimum the following items and report weights to their municipality each year:
- OFFICE PAPER
- ALUMINUM CANS
- LEAF WASTE
Please report these items and any other materials you recycle on the attached form. The form must be signed by your hauler so that your totals are valid.
Please check with the DPW for information on recycling leaves, grass, brush and also the collection of bulk amounts of boxes and office paper. We appreciate your interest in recycling. Recycling cans are provided by the city; if you purchase your own they are to be no bigger than a 32 gallon can. If you need additional cans please pick them up on-site at DPW.