Department: Department of Public Works
Supervisor: Director of Public Works, Department Manager
This is a administrative and supervisory position. Work is under the general supervision of the Department Manager with the direction of the Director of Public Works. Duties include the ability to plan, schedule, organize, implement, and evaluate the work performed in the collections of solid waste and recycling materials from residential and city properties. Cross train into other Department disciplines to function as frontline supervision in the absence of other Department Supervisors. Assignments are varied in nature and are carried out in accordance with general instructions and both involving managerial and standard city refuse collections, policies, practices, and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in the development and implementation of a city-wide integrated maintenance, organizational and operational planning; initiates revisions, as needed.
- Supervises Refuse & Recycling staff. Assists with interviews f or potential job candidates. Recommend personnel actions. Monitor and evaluate performance. Schedule crews and routes. Assists with training employees as necessary in techniques and procedures.
- Assis with implementation and monitoring of route optimization programs and technology related to the department goals.
- Evaluates processes and conditions of city public works operations related to all solid waste and recycling collections, staffing and equipment requirements.
- Assesses risks and hazards. Promotes and practices safety initiatives.
- Assists in the preparations of the department annual budgets. Assists the Director to maintain expenditures within approved budget.
- Supervise selected staff and oversees all related work for quality assurance.
- Directs the activities of drivers and collectors to provide safe, effective and courteous waste collection service to residents.
- As the field representative, respond effectively and courteously to resident inquiries, special requests an/or complaints. May also interact with city, state, or municipal government employees
- Perform route audits to ensure safe and efficient procedures are followed and to identify possible training needs. Complete employee route observations and discuss results with drivers and collectors.
- Continue to build and maintain a professional working relationship with vendors (truck centers and manufactures) and the operations needed within the Refuse and Recycling operation. (Landfills, recycling centers etc.)
- Records, maintains and stores essential information and data collectd.
Required Training, Experience, Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of supervisory principles and related methods.
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and pertinent safety precautions.
- Considerable knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget development and controls.
- Knowledge of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Association rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of CDL rules and regulations.
- Skilled with conflict resolutions related to employees and the public.
- Ability to use Windows Operation Systems and other Windows based programs.
- Ability to execute and organize work plans effectively.
- Ability to comprehend and to carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions physically and mentally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with associates and other city officials.
Education and Experience:
- Four years of operational experience including one plus years in a supervisory and/or administrative capacity involving organizing work and maintaining related records.
- Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
- Or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience.
- A CDL Class B license preferred but not required
Last modified: November 2, 2022