This position is responsible for the enforcement of the International Property Maintenance Code throughout the City of Scranton. The intern of code is “to ensure public health, safety, welfare insofar as they are affected by the continual occupancy and maintenance of structures and premises”. Existing structures and premises that do not meet these provisions shall be altered or repaired to provide a minimum level of health and safety as required by the code.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform Inspections
- Enforce the International Property Maintenance Code (IMPC) and related City Ordinances.
- Enforce International Residents Code (IRC).
- Create and maintain files, electronic files, forms, reports and other job related duties as assigned.
- File pictures and documents from inspections.
- Responsible for correspondence with all responsible parties.
- Maintain log of locations visited and verify what reason for visit to property.
- Issue Quality of Life Tickets to enforce the International Property Maintenance Code.
- File citations when necessary.
- Attends court as needed for housing-related hearings and/or appeals.
- Respond to complaints from public and inform property owners about issues.
- On-call and/or overtime as set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Other related, necessary duties as required by the Department Director/Supervisor.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to learn applicable housing and fire codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Ability to conduct physical inspections.
- Ability to enforce codes, ordinances firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Certified as a Property Maintenance / Housing Inspector.
- Basic Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- High School graduate or equivalency.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Contractual Testing and Certification for Housing: All New Hires 2017 to PRESENT are required to test and be certified 60 Days from accepting the position, all others prior to 2017 Testing is 18 months. Two (2) tries will be given.