Refuse & Recycling
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
Phone: (570) 348-4180 Extension 15
Attached below is a pick-up schedule for each neighborhood
Recycling bins are available at 101 West Poplar Street, Scranton, PA 18509
Red Recycling Bin – newspaper, magazines, catalogs & phonebooks
Blue Recycling Bin -(comingled) glass, cans & plastic
How to prepare recyclables:
- Remove food and drink waste from containers by a quick rinse.
- Discard liners/foam insulation from boxes.
- Put shredded paper in a clear plastic bag.
- Flattening plastic bottles will make more room.
- Please do not place broken glass in the recycling bin.
- Break down boxes
Comingled Containers (cans, bottles, jars)
- Bottles & Jars only!
- The tops should be thrown away.
- NO windows, mugs or glasses etc.
- NO broken glass
- Aluminum & Steel (Tin)
- Beverage & Food containers
- Bottles, jars & milk, soda, water, soaps. Please throw away the lids (unless attached)
NO cups, toys, plant pots etc.
The following cannot be recycled:
Food wrappers, paper or foam dishes/cups, take-out items, snack bags, straws, utensils, wraps and film. The Recycling Center doesn’t currently have a program for recycling electronics. (i.e. televisions, radios, etc.)
The attachment below has a list of some locations to take your unwanted, broken and old electronics
Please check with the DPW for information on recycling leaves, grass, brush and also the collection of bulk amounts of boxes and office paper. We appreciate your interest in recycling. Recycling cans are provided by the city and are to be no bigger than a 32 gallon can. If you need additional cans please pick them up on-site at DPW.