Department of Public Works Manager
This is administrative and supervisory work in the construction and maintenance of municipal streets, sewers, storm drains and related public works projects. Employee is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and reviewing the work for a large number of employees engaged in public works construction and maintenance activities. Work involves supervision over all bureaus including: Highways, Recycling & Safety, Refuse, Engineering, and Garages.
The employee will also serve as Emergency Coordinator for the Department of Public Works (DPW), including DPW lead for City Incident Response Team. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works, although the employee exercises considerable independent judgement carrying out work in accordance with general instructions or engineering specifications and is held responsible for the achieved results.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directs through supervisors the construction, maintenance and repair of hard surfaced streets, and sanitary, storm and combined sewers, the sweeping and flushing of streets, the maintenance and repair of automotive and construction equipment, and the preparation, installation and maintenance of traffic signs and markers;
- Oversee all functions of the major bureaus and report to the department director;
- Provides input for annual budget;
- Supervises snow removal and ice control activities on streets, sidewalks and parking areas
- Assigns work to supervisors; advises on repair methods and priority of assignments; and inspects work in progress;
- Determines quantity of materials and supplies required for construction and maintenance projects
- Confers with supervisors regarding process of projects;
- Performs other related work, as required.
Required Training, Experience, Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the materials, methods and practices essential to the construction and repair of streets and other public works installations.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to street construction, maintenance and repair.
- Ability to plan, lay out and supervise large scale labor operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees and the general public.
- Ability to supervise the maintenance of records and the preparation of reports.