Recycling and Safety Coordinator
This is administrative and supervisory work in a professional position in the field of environmental health and safety. An employee in this role performs the coordination of recycling and safety activities under the direction of an administrative supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops proposals and reports for program funding, also develops public awareness/education activities, brochures, booklets, leaflets, news releases, etc.
- Research recycling programs and technology nationwide.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates city-wide recycling program, as well as recommends changes to the residential municipal waste collection contract and municipal waste/recycling ordinances.
- Develops, organizes, and implements pilot projects and other recycling activities.
- Serves as a liaison to other city bureaus and state and federal departments, organizations, and agencies as it relates to recycling.
- Prepares reports, drafts, and news releases as assigned.
- Conduct safety training for new hires.
- Conduct defensive driver training for CDL holders.
- Completes accident/incident reports with Supervisors and Union employees.
- Maintains database of accident/incident reports.
- Responsible for filing reports with Law Office for all accidents/incidents.
- Maintains inventory and inspections of all fire extinguishers.
- Created and send out an annual recycling calendar.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Collects commercial recycling totals annually from commercial businesses based on the Act 101 ordinance.
- Applies for the 904 and 902 grants annually and bi-annually.
- Completes disbursement forms for grant funding.
- Implements strategies for advertising based on seasonal needs.
- Orders safety supplies for the building.
- Implements annual training for employees.
- Ensures safety equipment in the building is maintained. (Eye wash stations, exit signs, smoke detectors, etc.).
- Regularly inspects trucks for necessary safety supplies. (First aid kits, fire extinguishers, etc.)
- Maintains inventory of recycling bins and leaf bags.
Required Training, Experience, Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of community organization and education skills, as well as knowledge of administrative and supervision skills necessary to administrate the city-wide recycling program.
- Evidence of commitment to recycling principles and practices; knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques used in recycling; knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations relating to recycling and solid waste management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of effective supervision.
- Ability to perform individual research to develop new policies, procedures, and ordinances.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with associates, government, professional/nonprofessional groups, and the public.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in oral, written, and graphic form.
- Ability to gather and collect data, conduct surveys, and exercise sound judgment in arriving at technical recommendations.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Prior experience in health education, environmental management, environmental engineering, public administration, or closely related field and the ability to learn conception, implementation management, and promotion of curbside recycling programs and/or experience providing the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of the position.
The Recycling and Safety Coordinator must attain residence in the City of Scranton within six (6) months from the date of their appointment, proven by deed, rent receipt, lease, and/or utility bills.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.