Formerly called Licenses Inspections and Permits (LIPs)
THOMAS OLESKI, CODE ENFORCEMENT DIRECTOR
OFFICE HOURS: M – F, 8:00 to 4:30
PHONE: (570) 348-4193
FAX: (570) 348-4171
Code Enforcement News
- Quality of Life WorkflowView the infographic to learn about the Scranton’s Department of Code Enforcement Quality of Life workflow.
To report a quality of life concern, please contact email@example.com
The Code Enforcement Department (previously Licensing, Inspections, and permits) enforces land and property codes to support a healthy, safe, and vibrant community for Scranton Residents. The department investigates complaints about possible violations and takes action to mitigate quality of life concerns. This department also distributes permits and conducts inspections for homes, rental properties, and businesses. Having the Code Enforcement Department under the umbrella of OCD helps support a “One Stop Shop” for prospective businesses.
The responsibilities of the Code Enforcement Department includes facilitating the building construction process, health inspection, licenses, permits, and code enforcement.
Check out our new Public Application Portal: http://scrantonpa.viewpointcloud.com
Building Permit Process Requirements
All work within the City is to be completed by an insured licensed contactor with experience, knowledge, and a general understanding of the nature of work to be preformed. Residential work requires either a Home Improvement Contractor License, while any other work done on a multi-family residential (3+ units), commercial, demolition, industrial, et. al. requires a General Contractors License. Plan Reviews for residential and commercial projects are completed by NEIC, the City’s contracted Third Party Agency. Please note that the Department does not handle or issue Business Licensing.
NO WORK IS TO COMMENCE WITHOUT POSSESSION OF A PERMIT.
All construction projects in the City require a permit. Cost of permits vary based on the size and scope of the project. For example, the homeowner or their licensed contractor can obtain a permit to change the current windows and doors in a home without paying a fee because it is considered “alteration” or “remodeling.” However, if the project is to change the location of the windows or doors changes, there would be a fee because that is considered construction.
Any application should be submitted to the city 4 to 90 days before the project begins. The time frame for issuance of the permit is based on the size and scope of the projects and amount of trades involved. It is vital that the applications are filled out to completion. If you improperly fill out the permit applications, i.e. missing or omitted information, failing to provide the scope of the project with required plans, home owner or contractor information, etc. the permit will be denied and sent back. This will result in a longer wait time to begin the project for both the client and contractor. Once your permit is approved, it must be posted in the front of the worksite to be easily visible from the street.
Doing work without a permit or commencing work prior to obtaining the permit, will result in the fee for the job being doubled.
Permits will only be issued between 8am and 3:30pm on weekdays. Applications for permits received between 3:30pm and 4:30pm on weekdays will not be processed until the next business day, at the earliest. Upon submission, the Department is responsible to issue a decision on all permit applications within 30 business days for commercial permits and 15 business days for residential permits.
|Tom Oleski||Code Enforcement Director||570-348-4193, |
|John Eastman||Code Enforcement Deputy Director||570-348-4193, |
|Evan Harbert||Permit Clerk/Administrative Assistant||570-348-4193, |
|Abraham Negron||Administrative Assistant||570-348-4193, |
|Virginia Flynn||Administrative Assistant||570-348-4193, |
|NEIC||Trade Subcode Inspectors / Plan Review||570-348-4193, |
|Mike Eagan||Mechanical Inspector||570-348-4193, |
|James Ricci||Sign / License Enforcer||570-348-4193, |
|Todd Cortese||Weights & Measures||570-348-4193, |
|Donald J. King, AICP, CFM||City Planner||570-348-4280 |
|Annie Butkiewicz||Asst. City Planner||570-348-4193|
|Thomas Leach||Zoning Officer||570-348-4193|
|Lori Uher||Rental Registration||570-348-4193, |
|Kevin Kerrigan||Rental/Housing||570-348-4193, |
|Mary Foley||Health Inspector||570-348-4193, |
|Alex Manning||Housing Inspector – South Scranton/Minooka/East Mountain||570-348-4193, |
|Andrew Sunday||Housing Inspector – North Scranton||570-348-4193, |
|Larry Spathelf||Housing Inspector – East Scranton/Pinebrook||570-348-4193, |
|Katie McAndrew||Health / Housing Inspector – West Scranton||570-348-4193, |
|Tamilyn Carmona||Housing Inspector – Green Ridge/Plot||570-348-4193, Ext. 4519|
Effective April 15, 2010 the City of Scranton, per the Uniform Construction Code Act 45, will be enforcing the next edition of the ICC, which is the 2015 ICC Series.
THIS SERIES INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING CODES:
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2014 National Electric Code
- 2009 ANSI 117.1
LICENSES & PERMITS
- DOES MY DOG NEED A LICENSE? Yes, If you are a resident of the City of Scranton, your dog must be licensed. The fee is $35.00. Senior Citizen fee $ 20.00 (65 and over) card payment or check made payable to the City of Scranton. Date of rabies shot given and expiration date, along with the rabies tag number is required. Dog licenses expire each December.
- WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO TAKE TO BUILD A DECK? Please refer to this link.
- WHICH WORK REQUIRES A PERMIT? Almost everything. Contact this office before any work is started.
- WHICH WORK DOES NOT REQUIRE A PERMIT? Painting inside/outside of homes and gutter installation do not require permits.
- HOW MUCH DOES A PERMIT COST? It depends on the cost of the materials / labor. See our fee schedule which is available on-line.
- MUST A CONTRACTOR DOING WORK ON MY HOME BE LICENSED WITHIN THE CITY OF SCRANTON? Yes. Contact this office to verify current license.
- WHO SHOULD PULL A PERMIT? If the homeowner is doing the work, then the homeowner is allowed to pull the permit. If a contractor is doing the work, then the contractor must pull the permit.
- FOR A CONTRACTOR, IS A COPY OF THE CONTRACT BETWEEN CONTRACTOR AND HOMEOWNER REQUIRED? Yes. A copy of the contract must be submitted with the permit application.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS A PERMIT? One to two business days. Exceptions may occur.
- I’VE RENTED A DUMPSTER. DO I NEED A PERMIT? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. a dumpster permit is required if the dumpster is on the street. The cost is $10.00 per day.
- WHICH CONTRACTOR LICENSES REQUIRE TESTING? Home improvement, general contracting, plumbing, journeyman and master, electrical, journeyman and master, boiler and mechanical, journeyman and master, require testing. Testing is done twice a year once in April and once in October. Applications are available approximately 2 months prior.
- HOW MUCH DOES A LICENSE COST? $250.00 per year for an active license. Inactive licenses are $150.00. A journeyman’s license is $50.00 and apprentice is $20.00. Note: only active license holders can pull permits.
- IS PROOF OF INSURANCE REQUIRED FOR A LICENSE? Yes. A certificate of insurance is required for all licenses.
- SHOULD I REPORT WORK BEING DONE WITHOUT A PERMIT? Yes. Document the time and work being done along with the exact address. Contacting this office while work is being done will result in more immediate action.
- IS A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY REQUIRED FOR NEW BUSINESS CONSTRUCTION? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. All construction of new business requires a certificate. The cost is $350.00.
- IS A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY REQUIRED FOR NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. All new home construction requires a certificate of occupancy. The cost is $250.00.
- IS THE APPLICATION FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY AVAILABLE ON-LINE? Yes. It is available for download in .pdf format
- WHAT TYPE OF WORK REQUIRES PLAN SUBMITTALS? Any and all commercial and residential extensions or expansions and all new construction require plan submittal.