Code Enforcement (Licenses Inspections and Permits)

OFFICE HOURS: M – F, 8:00 to 4:30
PHONE: (570) 348-4193
FAX: (570) 348-4171

The Bureau of Code Enforcement

  • New Construction Permitting
  • Health Inspections
  • Code Enforcement
  • Licenses
  • Permits

Plan Reviews for residential and commercial projects must be completed by a Third Party Agency in the City. Contact the office for a list of Licensed Third Party Agencies. Please note that the Department does not handle or issue Business Licensing.


An application must be submitted to the city, however, this does not mean that the project has been approved. Permits will only be issued between 8am and 3:30pm on weekdays. Applications for permits received between 3:30pm and 4:30pm on weekdays will not be processed until the next business day, at the earliest.  Upon submission, the Department is responsible to issue a decision on all permit applications within 30 business days for commercial permits and 15 business days for residential permits.

  • The application should be submitted to the department well in advance of the start of the project. If the permit is approved, a copy of the permit must be posted and must be visible from the street.
  • Doing work without a permit or commencing work prior to obtaining the permit, will result in the fee for the job being doubled.
Staff Directory
NamePositionPhone Number
Tom OleskiCode Enforcement Manager570-348-4193, Ext. 4169
Kelly LucasPermit Clerk/Administrative Assistant570-348-4193, Ext. 4516
Erin SheaAdministrative Assistant570-348-4193, Ext. 4517
Virginia FlynnAdministrative Assistant570-348-4193, Ext. 4580
NEICPlumbing and Electrical Inspectors570-348-4193, Ext. 6632
Mike EaganMechanical Inspector570-348-4193, Ext. 4175
Katie McAndrewSign / License Enforcer570-348-4193, Ext. 4518
Todd CorteseWeights & Measures570-348-4193, Ext. 4513
Donald J. King, AICP, CFMCity Planner/Acting Zoning Officer570-348-4193, Ext. 4280
Lori UherRental Registration570-348-4193, Ext. 4523
Kevin KerriganRental/Housing570-348-4193, Ext. 4525
Mary FoleyHealth Inspector570-348-4193, Ext. 4522
Fania BlackwellHealth / Housing Inspector – South Scranton/Minooka/East Mountain570-348-4193, Ext. 4506
Andrew SundayHousing Inspector – North Scranton570-348-4193, Ext. 4514
Larry SpathelfHousing Inspector – East Scranton/Pinebrook570-348-4193, Ext. 4505
Jack LiptaiHousing Inspector – West Scranton570-348-4193, Ext. 4530
Tamilyn CarmonaHousing Inspector – Green Ridge/Plot570-348-4193, Ext. 4519


Effective April 15, 2010 the City of Scranton, per the Uniform Construction Code Act 45, will be enforcing the next edition of the ICC, which is the 2015 ICC Series.  


  • 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
  • 2015 International Residential Code
  • 2015 International Building Code
  • 2015 International Existing Building Code
  • 2015 International Plumbing Code
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code
  • 2015 International Fire Code
  • 2015 International Energy Code
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2015 National Electric Code  
  • 2009 ANSI 117.1

Please note that any project contract signed after April 15, 2010, is to be designed and constructed under the above-mentioned codes.  Be sure to update your code books and references and feel free to contact the Department of Licensing, Inspections and Permits with any questions regarding this matter.  


  • DOES MY DOG NEED A LICENSE? Yes, If you are a resident of the City of Scranton, your dog must be licensed. The fee is $35.00. Senior Citizen fee $ 20.00 (65 and over) card payment or check made payable to the City of Scranton. Date of rabies shot given and expiration date, along with the rabies tag number is required. Dog licenses expire each December.  
  • WHICH WORK REQUIRES A PERMIT? Almost everything. Contact this office before any work is started.  
  • WHICH WORK DOES NOT REQUIRE A PERMIT? Painting inside/outside of homes and gutter installation do not require permits.  
  • HOW MUCH DOES A PERMIT COST? It depends on the cost of the materials / labor. See our fee schedule which is available on-line.  
  • MUST A CONTRACTOR DOING WORK ON MY HOME BE LICENSED WITHIN THE CITY OF SCRANTON? Yes. Contact this office to verify current license.  
  • WHO SHOULD PULL A PERMIT? If the homeowner is doing the work, then the homeowner is allowed to pull the permit. If a contractor is doing the work, then the contractor must pull the permit.  
  • FOR A CONTRACTOR, IS A COPY OF THE CONTRACT BETWEEN CONTRACTOR AND HOMEOWNER REQUIRED? Yes. A copy of the contract must be submitted with the permit application.  
  • HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS A PERMIT? One to two business days. Exceptions may occur.
  • I’VE RENTED A DUMPSTER. DO I NEED A PERMIT? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. a dumpster permit is required if the dumpster is on the street. The cost is $10.00 per day.  
  • WHICH CONTRACTOR LICENSES REQUIRE TESTING? Home improvement, general contracting, plumbing, journeyman and master, electrical, journeyman and master, boiler and mechanical, journeyman and master, require testing. Testing is done twice a year once in April and once in October. Applications are available approximately 2 months prior.  
  • HOW MUCH DOES A LICENSE COST? $250.00 per year for an active license. Inactive licenses are $150.00. A journeyman’s license is $50.00 and apprentice is $20.00. Note: only active license holders can pull permits.  
  • IS PROOF OF INSURANCE REQUIRED FOR A LICENSE? Yes. A certificate of insurance is required for all licenses.  
  • SHOULD I REPORT WORK BEING DONE WITHOUT A PERMIT? Yes. Document the time and work being done along with the exact address. Contacting this office while work is being done will result in more immediate action.  
  • IS A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY REQUIRED FOR NEW BUSINESS CONSTRUCTION? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. All construction of new business requires a certificate. The cost is $350.00.  
  • IS A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY REQUIRED FOR NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION? WHAT IS THE COST? Yes. All new home construction requires a certificate of occupancy. The cost is $250.00.  
  • IS THE APPLICATION FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY AVAILABLE ON-LINE? Yes. It is available for download in .pdf format
  • WHAT TYPE OF WORK REQUIRES PLAN SUBMITTALS? Any and all commercial and residential extensions or expansions and all new construction require plan submittal.
Cost of Job Category
(Minimum to Maximum Cost)
Cost of Permit
(Base Fee plus the Multiplier)
1. $1.00 to $300.00$30.50
2.  $301.00 to $600.00$40.50
3.  $601.00 to $1,000.00$50.50
4.  $1,001.00 to $75,000.00$50.50 for the first $1,000, plus $15.00 per each additional thousand
5.  $75.001.00 to $500,000.00$1185.50 for the first $76,000, plus $14.00 per each additional thousand
6.  Over $500,000.00$7148.50 for the first $501,000, plus $13.00 per each additional thousand

Comments are closed.

Skip to content