Purpose: The Powers and Duties of the Board of Ethics are:
- Give advice as to the application of the ethics provisions of the Charter of the City of Scranton and the Code of Ethics.
- Receive and dispose of complaints of violations of the ethics provisions of the Charter and Code of Ethics, and exercise discretion in declining to pursue and investigation if such a course would be in the best interest of the citizens of the City of Scranton or where the activity complained of amounts to no more than a de minimis violation.
- Appoint an investigating officer to conduct investigations and to issue findings reports where appropriate.
- Hold hearings, issue subpoenas and compel the attendance of witnesses, administer oaths, take testimony, require evidence on any matter under investigation before the Board, and issue orders including but not limited to those related to adjudications and penalties.
- Conduct educational programs to promote the ethical conduct of public officials, City of Scranton employees, and individuals and groups doing business with the City.
- Adopt rules and regulations to administer, implement, enforce and interpret the Code of Ethics.
- Annually review the statements of financial interest filed pursuant to Section 4 of the Code.
Mission: To administer and apply the ethics provisions of the Charter of the City of Scranton and the Code of Ethics to endeavor to maintain a high standard of ethical behavior by City employees and officials.
Any person residing in the City of Scranton may file an ethics complaint with the Board by completing the Ethics Board Complaint Form included on this webpage.
Meetings: The Board of Ethics meets every third Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Governor’s Room at City Hall, 340 N. Washington Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503 for the rest of the year.
Residents may send their comments/questions in writing to be included in the official record by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting. Changes to this schedule will be legally advertised in the Scranton Times-Tribune.
Solicitor: John M. Hart, III, Esquire
201 Franklin Ave.
|Member (Appointer)||Term End|
|Stephanie Bressler (Mayor Cognetti)||8-31-22|
|Andrew T. Heller (Mayor Evans)||8-31-21|
|Matthew Meyer (Council) – Chair||8-31-22|
|Brad Kovaleski (Controller)||8-31-23|
|David Falcheck (Council)||8-31-21|